Thursday, July 31, 2008

What I learned from Richard Simmons




First, a disclaimer for today's post: I like to analyze life a lot and take lessons away from things. Sometimes, that is a great way to learn life lessons. However, sometimes, (and my husband as well as close friends would back me up on this) I over analyze and make up horrible scenarios out of nothing. Today, some of you might think this is a silly scenario I'm writing about, but I choose to turn it into a positive life lesson!
So, earlier this week a friend my husband works with told us the one and only
Richard Simmons was coming to a local Walgreen's. I'll be honest, I've never watched a single Richard Simmons video, never followed one of his weight-loss plans, never been an avid Richard Simmons follower, but I think that guy is hysterical!! Immediately, my first thought was: I have to get a picture with that guy! I have to get Jayden's picture with that guy! This is too funny to pass up!! Well, to my surprise, while driving through St. Louis yesterday I saw the sign saying the big day had arrived, Richard Simmons 6-8pm! So, I told my husband how much I wanted to go, how funny it would be. I told my boss (I work part-time, but take my son with me when I actually go into the office, most my work is done from home), I told my friends... I was ready to get my picture! I even called my husband at work to tell him about the "Welcome Richard" car sitting outside the Walgreen's. *I sound like a crazy person, yes, I know this* So, after my husband gets off work I'm talking about Richard Simmons again and I catch his 'absolutely not interested' vibe. Oh no! Then, I think, maybe one of neighbors who happens to be a very sweet friend, would go. She calls to see if I want to go to the gym, I mention Richard Simmons is at Walgreen's, but she didn't seem to care much either, except to say Richard would be very proud of us for going to the gym (Very true, BTW!)! So, I didn't go, didn't get my picture, and was very sad I wouldn't have a cool Richard Simmons story for my new blog. To make matters worse, this morning my husband sent me a very cute, funny pic of the work friend who went to meet Mr. Simmons!! Never thought I would say this, but I am so jealous!
My lesson learned - why was I waiting on someone else to go with me? If I thought it would be so fun and funny I should have just gone myself. I immediately remembered the time when I was a freshman at The University of Tennessee (Go VOLS!!!!) and wanted to go to the freshman picnic to meet people. When my roommate wouldn't go with me, I stayed in my room instead of getting out to meet new people, and this was the beginning of a very hard, lonely first semester of college. Luckily, my now husband became a great friend during that time and made sure I was getting out meeting new people.
Your take away from all this: Do things for yourself, don't wait on others to help you do it. Be confident, and if something is important to you, go for it. There was a quote I really liked in high school after a big breakup and I think it is very appropriate here. "Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting on someone to bring you flowers." -Veronica A. Shoffstall
*The picture above is from the Official Richard Simmons website*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brit, I learned many years ago, if I wanted to do something, I couldn't wait on others, or I wouldn't get the chance again. I've been going by myself to certain events and activities for over 38years, because my spouse or friends weren't always interested. Love, Nana